Canadian Partner Visa: Application Process

The Canadian Partner Visa, also known as the Common-Law Partner Visa, allows couples to live together in Canada. This visa provides an opportunity for foreign nationals to reunite with their partners who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents. The process of applying for a Canadian Partner Visa can be complex and time-consuming. In this article, we will guide you through the application process and answer some frequently asked questions.

Application Process
Step 1: Determine if you are eligible
To apply for a Canadian Partner Visa, you must meet the following criteria:
– You must be the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
– You must be at least 18 years old.
– You must have been in a genuine relationship with your partner for at least one year.
– You must have lived together with your partner for at least one year.

Step 2: Gather necessary documents
Once you have determined your eligibility, you will need to gather the following documents:
– Proof of your relationship such as photos, emails, and text messages.
– Proof of your cohabitation such as rent or mortgage agreements, utility bills, and joint bank accounts.
– Proof of your immigration status such as a passport and visa.
– Police clearance certificates from each country you have lived in for over six months over the past ten years.
– Medical exam results.

Step 3: Submit your application
You can apply for a Canadian Partner Visa online or through the mail. The online process is faster and more convenient. You will need to create an account on the Canadian government’s immigration website and upload your documents. You will also need to pay the application fee which is currently $1,050 CAD.

Step 4: Wait for processing
After submitting your application, you will need to wait for processing which usually takes six to twelve months depending on the workload of the immigration office. During this time, the immigration officer may contact you for additional information or to schedule an interview.

Step 5: Receive a decision
If your application is approved, you will receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and a Permanent Resident Visa stamped in your passport. You will need to present these documents to a border officer upon arrival in Canada. If your application is refused, you can appeal the decision or reapply with additional documents.

1. Can I apply for a Canadian Partner Visa if my partner is a temporary resident in Canada?
Yes, you can apply for a Canadian Partner Visa if your partner has a temporary visa such as a study or work permit. However, your partner must have at least six months left on their visa at the time of your application.

2. Do I need to submit my original documents with my application?
No, you can submit photocopies of your documents. However, you must provide authorized translations if your documents are in a language other than English or French.

3. Can I work in Canada with a Canadian Partner Visa?
Yes, you can work in Canada with a Canadian Partner Visa. You will need to apply for a work permit which is usually processed at the same time as your partner visa application.

4. Can I travel outside of Canada while my Canadian Partner Visa is being processed?
Yes, you can travel outside of Canada while your Canadian Partner Visa is being processed. However, you must have a valid visa to re-enter Canada. If your visa expires during your travels, you will need to apply for a new one.

The Canadian Partner Visa is a great option for couples who want to live together in Canada. The application process can be complex and time-consuming, but it is worth the effort to be reunited with your partner. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can increase your chances of a successful application. If you have any questions or need assistance, consult with an immigration lawyer or consultant.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *