England Scale Up Visa and Application Process
The United Kingdom is currently one of the leading countries in entrepreneurship, innovation, and startup culture. However, the UK government realized that the country is still lagging behind other countries in terms of scaleups – businesses that have high growth potential and turnover. In response to this, the UK government introduced the England Scale Up Visa to attract talented entrepreneurs and innovators from around the world to establish their businesses on its shores. This article will delve into the ins and outs of the England Scale Up Visa and the application process.
What is the England Scale Up Visa?
The England Scale Up Visa is a new visa category that was launched in March 2021 to enable entrepreneurs and innovators with the potential for high-growth businesses to establish themselves in the UK. This visa category is part of the government’s entrepreneurship strategy aimed at attracting foreign startups and scaleups to grow and develop their businesses on British soil.
To be eligible for the visa, applicants must:
– Have a proven track record of founding or growing a business in their home country
– Demonstrate that their business idea is innovative and has potential for high growth
– Provide evidence that their business fulfils specific criteria
– Have an endorsement from an approved UK endorsing body
The visa allows successful applicants to stay in the UK for up to five years. Additionally, applicants can bring their family members to the UK, including their spouse, partner, and children under 18.
What are the criteria for a successful application?
To be considered for an England Scale Up Visa, applicants must meet certain eligibility criteria:
– Must be at least 18 years old
– Must not have a criminal record
– Must have sufficient knowledge of the English language
– Must have at least £50,000 in investment funds available to establish the business in the UK
– Must have an endorsement from a UK endorsing body
– Must demonstrate their business idea has the potential to compete in global markets through a proven track record of success in their home country
What is an endorsing body?
An endorsing body is an organization approved by the UK government to approve and endorse applications for the England Scale Up Visa. These bodies assess and evaluate applications to ensure that they meet the necessary requirements of the visa.
The UK government has approved four endorsing bodies for the England Scale Up Visa:
– The Scale Up Institute
– Tech Nation
– The Royal Society
– The Royal Academy of Engineering
Each endorsing body has its criteria for endorsing applications. Therefore, it is essential to research the available endorsing bodies and choose one that suits the applicant’s business profile.
What is the application process?
The application process for the England Scale Up Visa is as follows:
1. Choose an approved endorsing body and apply for endorsement.
2. Once the endorsing body approves the application, the applicant can apply for the visa from the UK visa application center in their home country. The applicant will need to provide the following documents:
– Valid passport or travel document
– Proof of investment funds
– Proof of knowledge of English language (if required)
– Approved endorsement from an endorsing body
3. Pay the visa application fee, which is currently £363.00.
4. Attend an appointment at the visa application center to submit biometric information, namely fingerprints and a digital photograph.
5. Wait for a decision on the visa application. The visa processing time varies depending on factors such as the country of origin and whether the applicant requests priority processing.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long can I stay in the UK with an England Scale Up Visa?
Successful applicants can stay in the UK for up to five years.
2. Can I bring my family with me to the UK?
Yes, applicants can bring their spouse, partner, and children under the age of 18.
3. How much investment capital do I need to have to apply for the visa?
Applicants must have at least £50,000 in investment funds available to establish the business in the UK.
4. What is the endorsement process?
Applicants must receive an endorsement from a UK endorsing body approved by the UK government.
5. Can I extend my visa?
Yes, applicants can extend their visas for an additional five years. After ten years, applicants can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK.
The England Scale Up Visa is a brilliant opportunity for entrepreneurs and innovators with business ideas that have high growth potential to establish themselves in the UK. The visa’s application process requires a great deal of preparation and research on the part of the applicant, but if executed correctly, the visa could be a gateway for a successful entrepreneurial career in the UK.