Korean Marriage Visa and Application Process

Heading: Introduction
Korea is one of the most popular destinations for foreigners to marry their Korean spouses. However, before getting hitched, foreign spouses must obtain a visa that allows them to stay in the country for an extended period. In this article, we will explore the marriage visa and application process for foreigners who wish to marry their Korean partners.

Heading: What is a Korean Marriage Visa?
A Korean Marriage Visa, also known as a F-6 visa, is an extended-stay visa issued to foreigners who married Korean citizens or permanent residents. This visa is valid for two years and can be extended for an additional two years. After the four-year period, the foreign spouse is eligible to apply for a permanent residency visa.

Heading: Documents Required for a Marriage Visa Application
– A completed visa application form (can be downloaded from the Korean embassy website)
– A valid passport
– Photos (2)
– Birth certificate
– Marriage certificate issued by the Korean government
– Criminal background check from home country or country of residence
– Medical examination certificate issued by a Korean-recognized hospital or clinic
– Proof of financial support (bank statement showing at least KRW 30 million in the account)
– Residence registration document (for Korean citizens)
– Identification card or proof of residency (for permanent residents)

Heading: Application Process for a Marriage Visa
1. Fill out the visa application form and gather all necessary documents.
2. Submit the application form and documents to the Korean embassy or consulate in your home country.
3. Schedule a visa interview and attend the interview on the scheduled date.
4. If approved, wait for the visa to be issued.
5. Upon arrival in Korea, the foreign spouse must register their marriage with the Korean government and apply for a residence card.

Heading: FAQs
Q: Do I need to prove that I can speak Korean to get a marriage visa?
A: No, there is no language requirement to obtain a marriage visa.

Q: Can I apply for a marriage visa while in Korea on a tourist visa?
A: No, you must apply for the marriage visa in your home country.

Q: Can I apply for a permanent residency visa after the two-year marriage visa expires?
A: Yes, you can apply for a permanent residency visa after four years of being married to a Korean citizen or permanent resident.

Q: Can I work in Korea with a marriage visa?
A: Yes, you can work in Korea with a marriage visa after obtaining a work permit.

Q: Can same-sex couples apply for a marriage visa in Korea?
A: No, same-sex marriage is not legal in Korea, and therefore, same-sex couples cannot apply for a marriage visa.

Heading: Conclusion
Obtaining a marriage visa in Korea is a straightforward process as long as you have all the required documents and meet the eligibility criteria. After obtaining a marriage visa, foreign spouses can enjoy living with their Korean partners and embracing the country’s culture and language.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *