UK Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa and Application Process
The UK Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa is a type of visa that allows skilled professionals to work in the UK for a UK-based employer. The requirements for this visa are primarily based on the applicant’s qualifications, work experience, and the job they are being offered.
In this article, we will discuss the application process for the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa and provide some FAQs to help you understand the visa process better.
To apply for the UK Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa, you must follow these steps:
1. Check your eligibility: The first step is to check if you meet the eligibility criteria for the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa. You can check your eligibility on the UK government website.
2. Find a sponsor: Once you have determined that you are eligible for the visa, you need to find a UK-based employer who can sponsor your visa application.
3. Get a Certificate of Sponsorship: Once you have secured a sponsor, they will need to apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) on your behalf. This is a reference number that you will need when you apply for your visa.
4. Apply for the visa: After you have been issued a CoS, you can start your visa application. You must complete an online application form, pay the fees, and submit your supporting documents.
5. Attend a biometric appointment: Once you have applied, you will be required to attend a biometric appointment to have your fingerprints and photograph taken.
6. Wait for a decision: Finally, you will need to wait for a decision on your visa application. The processing times for the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa can vary, so it is essential to check the current processing times regularly.
Q: What is the minimum salary for the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa?
A: The minimum salary requirement for the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa is £25,600 per annum. However, certain exemptions apply, such as if you are a new entrant to the labour market or if your job is on the UK Shortage Occupation List.
Q: Can I bring my family with me on the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa?
A: Yes, you can bring your spouse, partner, and children under the age of 18 with you to the UK. Your dependents will need to apply for their visas separately, and they will need to meet the eligibility criteria.
Q: Can I switch to a Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa from within the UK?
A: Yes, if you are already in the UK on a different visa, you can apply to switch to the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa. However, you must meet the eligibility criteria and have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship.
Q: Can I apply for permanent residency on the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa?
A: Yes, if you have been in the UK on a Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa for five years or more, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). However, you must meet the eligibility criteria for ILR and have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship.
Q: Can I extend my Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa?
A: Yes, you can extend your Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa as long as you continue to meet the eligibility criteria, and your employer continues to sponsor you. Extensions are usually granted for up to another five years.
The UK Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa is a valuable asset for skilled professionals seeking to work in the UK. The application process can be lengthy and complex, but if you follow the steps outlined above and meet the eligibility criteria, you should be able to secure a visa and begin working in the UK.
By understanding the FAQs and common inquiries about the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa, you can make an informed decision about your employment opportunities in the UK. Good luck with your visa application!