What to Know About the US Employer Sponsored Work Visa


Employment opportunities in the United States attract a lot of attention from skilled workers around the world who are looking to build their careers in the country. The United States offers a number of different visa options for foreign nationals to come and work in the country, one of which is the Employer Sponsored Work Visa.

This article will provide an overview of the Employer Sponsored Work Visa along with everything that you need to know about it, to help you navigate the process of obtaining a visa and be well-prepared to experience a successful and productive stay in the United States.

What is an Employer Sponsored Work Visa?

An Employer Sponsored Work Visa, also known as the H-1B visa, allows U.S. employers to employ foreign workers in specialized occupations that require a bachelor’s degree or higher. The visa is initially valid for three years and can be renewed once for an additional three years.

Who is eligible for an Employer Sponsored Work Visa?

To be eligible for an Employer Sponsored Work Visa, foreign workers must have a degree in a specialized field and be able to demonstrate that they have the necessary skills and experience to perform the job duties required of them.

Additionally, there is a quota system in place for the number of H-1B visas that are issued each year, with 65,000 visas available annually for new applicants, plus an additional 20,000 visas available for foreign workers who hold a master’s degree or higher from a U.S. university.

How to apply for an Employer Sponsored Work Visa?

Employers must file a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor before they can petition for an H-1B visa for a foreign worker. The LCA specifies the job duties, work location, and wage rate for the foreign worker, and must indicate that the employer will pay the foreign worker the same wage rate as U.S. workers in the same position.

Once the LCA is certified by the Department of Labor, the employer can file a Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of the foreign worker. The I-129 application must include the certified LCA, along with other supporting documents, such as the foreign worker’s resume and diploma.


Q: Can I apply for an Employer Sponsored Work Visa from outside the United States?
A: Yes, you can apply for an H-1B visa from outside the United States. However, you must obtain the visa before you can enter the country and start working.

Q: Can I switch to a different employer if I have an Employer Sponsored Work Visa?
A: Yes, you can switch to a different employer while you hold an H-1B visa. You will need to have your new employer file a new Labor Condition Application and I-129 petition on your behalf.

Q: Can I bring my family with me on an Employer Sponsored Work Visa?
A: Yes, you can bring your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 with you on an H-4 dependent visa. Your family members will not be able to work in the United States, but they can attend school or college.

Q: What happens if I lose my job while I am on an Employer Sponsored Work Visa?
A: If you lose your job while you are on an H-1B visa, you will have a grace period of 60 days to find a new employer and file a new petition. If you cannot find a new employer within 60 days, you may be required to leave the country.


If you are a skilled worker seeking employment opportunities in the United States, the Employer Sponsored Work Visa could be an excellent option for you. It is important to note that the visa application process can be complex and there are a limited number of visas available each year. However, with the right preparation and support, you can navigate the process and enjoy the benefits of working in the United States.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *